Before January 2014 and all talk of resolutions and goals disappear, lets take a look at the resolution list I made in January 2013.
Move to Australia to live. – Very happy that this one is now off the list.
Find a new home in Australia. – Also happy to have found the home we did!
Publish Absent Children – That was enormous!
market Absent Children -How to define success? Millions of sales? Or hundreds. I didn’t get near either of those marks, but despite my avoidance of marketing over the past few months, I haven’t given up yet!
5. Complete first draft of Crystal. Failing at this has provided me with far more frustration than anything else. I desperately want to finish it, partly because having a second book up there is a marketing tool, but mainly because until it is finished, I can’t know if it works as a story.
Meditate regularly (stealing this one, but it has been an intention for two years now, time to make it a reality.) – I began well with this, and felt I benefited, but when life became chaotic, meditation was one of the first things to go. Silly, because I probably needed it more than ever over the last six months.
Maintain good relationships with family and friends – I believe I’ve succeeded in this one.
Read for pleasure as well as work. – I have done this, although perhaps not as much as I’d like to. An important part of my writing life involves critiquing and beta reading for others, and there have been times when I’ve barely managed to keep up with those in recent months.
9. Create two
new blogs – one on birthing practices and one on writing. – Rethinking this as it still hasn’t happened. I hoped to have blogging down pat by now, but to do it well requires more technical know-how than I’ve been willing to learn this year. I hope I can make time to change that, and when and if I do, I plan to merge the writing blog with the birthing one… maybe.
Enjoy myself. – Overall, I did enjoy 2013 immensely. There were many highs –
- while still living in Scotland we had visits from Aussie and US friends and family,
- visited my brother and his wife in their UK house sit,
Since returning to Australia, the good times have continued –
- house sitting in Somers and Mt Martha,
- finding our new home,
- catching up with friends, seeing heaps more of family,
- and celebrated Christmas in our new home.
I’m so lucky to have had such a great year, but there have also been a very stressful times; many big decisions made, lots of money spent and at times, simply too much going on, so this year, I’m shying away from listing goals.
I need to consolidate my new life here before embarking on even a ‘Catherine, Caffeinated’-style of goal setting.
Maybe I’ll make a list next month, or in June? Perhaps December? Or not at all.
Are you a fan of New Year Resolutions?